When you wake up after a full night of sleep, and you still feel tired and agitated then there must be something wrong. According to sleep disorder clinic, there is a possibility that you are suffering from a sleep disorder. Here’s everything you might want to know about sleep disorders.
How Many Types of Sleep Disorders Are There?
There are over 70 sleep known sleep disorders, but the most commons ones, as per Sleep center are:
- Sleep apnea
The above five are the most common sleep disorders, in fact, 18 million Americans alone are suffering from sleep apnea. There are times when we are suffering from these disorders but we never get properly diagnosed with them. Sleep centers are very common now, they have all the answers you need about every disorder, they offer therapies, both physical and medicinal to help you treat your sleep disorder. This can be our ignorance or lack of knowledge. To get diagnosed with a disease you will need to know the symptoms first.
What Are the Symptoms of Sleep Disorders?
Every disorder has different indications, but sometimes they do overlap each other. This is why, after listing down your symptoms you will need to get properly checked and officially diagnosed at the Sleep disorder clinic in order to start treatment right away.
time. This leaves the person tired and irritated during the day.
Symptoms of Insomnia
Insomnia is when you have difficulty in sleeping or staying asleep for decent hours. Ill-advisedly, every other individual suspect that he or she is suffering from insomnia. This is way sleep centers only diagnose you with insomnia if you have had difficulty in sleep or 3 months at most. The common indications of insomnia are:
- Waking up unrested after sleeping
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- lack of energy throughout the day
- Lack of concentrating
- irritability, aggression, and impulsive behaviors
- Vagueness or absentmindness
- Losing interest in personal and professional relationships
- Accidents due to fatigue
These are the major indications that you might be suffering from insomnia. There are two types, occasional insomnia, like its name it happens occasionally and for a short period of time and chronic, which stays for as long as a month at the very least and its reoccurring. Sleep centers offer treatments and diagnose for insomnia of any kind, consult a doctor if you have any of these symptoms.
Symptoms of REM (Rapid Eye Movement)
With REM You brain has no control over the movement and vocals of your body, hence involuntary movements and screaming happens while you are sleeping. The common symptoms of REM are:
- Involuntary actions, like kicking, punching the air or leaping from the bed, while you sleep. These can happen either in response to violent dreams, or feelings such as being attacked in the sleep.
- Involuntary Sounds, like chatting, chuckling, yelling or screaming or even abusing in your sleep.
- The ability to recall the horrifying nightmare after waking up.
With narcolepsy, you have no control over your sleep, which means you will sleep, when-ever and whenever. You can be doing any activity like swimming, driving or just talking to someone and you will sleep. Just like that, no indication or warning.
Symptoms of Narcolepsy
Excessive Daytime Sleepiness (EDS). Since the whole problem of narcolepsy is that you can sleep at any second, during day time, excessive sleeping becomes major symptom of narcolepsy. These sleep attacks can last up to a minute. It’s a chronic problem which makes you doze off without any warning
- Sleep paralysis: When you brain is active but your muscles are still sleeping. This is a very common symptom of narcolepsy.
- Cataplexy: it is pretty similar to sleep paralysis, when your muscles lose control and you can’t move them at all. Drastic emotions like fear, laughter, anger are the triggers of Cataplexy.
- Hallucinations: These can occur while you are sleeping, or waking up or dozing off. This, too, is a red flag for diagnosing narcolepsy according to sleep centers MD.
- Restless night time sleep: Because one sleeps so much in the day time, he or sleep will not be able to sleep at night